Kansas Department of Administration

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Workers Compensation?

It is compensation provided by the employer for a personal injury caused by an accident arising out of and in the course of employment. Employees who sustain compensable injuries from an accident injury or occupational disease may be entitled to:

  • Payment for reasonable and necessary medical treatment that is authorized to treat the job-related injury or illness;

  • Disability compensation to replace part of the wages lost due to a disability;

  • Survivors benefits if death results.

Who administers Workers Compensation for State of Kansas employees?

The State Self‐Insurance Fund (SSIF) was established by the Kansas legislature to administer workers compensation claims on behalf of State of Kansas employees.  The SSIF can be reached in Topeka at 785‐296‐2364.

What if I have an accident at work?
  • All State employees must notify their supervisor immediately if they have sustained an on-the-job injury.

  • For injuries with a date of accident on or after April 25, 2013, failure to notify an employer within the earliest of the following dates could jeopardize compensation: 20 calendar days from the date of accident or the date of injury by repetitive trauma.

    • If the employee is working for the employer against whom benefits are being sought and such employee seeks medical treatment for any injury by accident or repetitive trauma; 20 calendar days from the date such medical treatment is sought; or

    • If the employee no longer works for the employer against whom benefits are being sought, 10 calendar days after the employee’s last date of actual work for the employer.

  • Upon notification, the supervisor should meet with the employee and fill out the electronic Employer’s Report of Injury via the SSIF web portal at SSIF Claim Submission Portal

    Note:  This form must be completed in its entirety by management and submitted to the State Self Insurance Fund (SSIF) within 24 hours of the supervisor’s awareness of the injury. 

What if the injury requires emergency treatment?

Life or limb‐threatening emergency situations require immediate medical attention from the closest medical facility. Injuries such as broken bones, profuse bleeding, head injuries, wounds that require stitches, chemicals in the eye(s), etc. are some examples of emergency situations.

Prior authorization is not required for emergency treatment but the supervisor should inform the SSIF as soon as possible at 785‐296‐2364.

What if the injury is not an emergency but the employee wants to seek medical attention?

The State Self Insurance Fund is legally entitled to choose the treating physician. If an employee self‐selects a doctor and does not have prior authorization for treatment from the 24/7 Nurse Triage line, the SSIF will only be responsible for the first $500 in unauthorized medical bills from the self‐selected physician(s) once the injury has been found compensable.

It’s a good practice to receive prior authorization by calling the 24/7 Nurse Triage line at 1-833-756-2007 before sending the employee to the doctor in non‐emergency situations to assist in determining compensability.

Please note that all phoned-in reports must be followed up with a completed electronic Employer’s Report of Injury within 24 hours.  The State Self Insurance Fund does not guarantee that any doctor visit will be covered until compensability is determined.

What doctors do we use to treat our injured workers?

The State Self Insurance Fund utilizes the CompAlliance provider network for workers compensation medical care. This vast network of doctors provides great opportunities in treating injured state workers.  

  • For non‐emergency situations, please call the 24/7 Nurse Triage line at 1-833-756-2007 for prior authorization.  

  • For initial emergency care providers who may or may not be in the CompAlliance network, click on the following link CompAlliance Network

What pharmacies do we use to treat our injured workers?

The Corvel program is designed to help the injured worker in the following ways:

  • It will help the employee avoid out‐of‐pocket expenses for prescriptions to treat on‐the‐job injuries.

  • First-fill medications can be obtained after hours, weekends, and holidays.

  • It will eliminate most paperwork associated with employee reimbursements.

  • It will ensure that prescription medications can be accessed with a national pharmacy network.

  • It will reduce authorization delays that are associated with paperbound script processing.

  • Finally, it will provide extended service hours and staff to address the injured employee’s questions.

  • How is compensability determined?

    Compensability is determined from the electronic Employer’s Report of Injury and/or a phone call with the agency management reporting the facts of the injury.  The SSIF claim representatives utilize the Kansas Laws and Regulations to determine compensability of a claim.

What happens to the doctor bill if the claim is found not to be compensable?

The employee will need to pay for the visit or submit the bill to their medical insurance provider.  The employee will receive a denial letter from the SSIF that can be sent to the medical insurance provider and/or their personal health insurance.

Is mileage allowed for treatment I get?

You will be entitled to mileage when you drive to your authorized provider’s office if the distance is more than 5 miles roundtrip. A Mileage Form is available for your use in keeping track of your miles and may be submitted periodically, usually monthly, as you drive.

How do I get prescriptions?

Your provider may prescribe certain drugs or other items during the course of your treatment.  We usually will not pay for over-the-counter items, aspirin, band-aids, etc.  Your claim representative will assist you with such purchases if you have a problem.

NOTE:  Please do not purchase or rent any other items such as electrical stimulators or other hardware until you check with your claim representative.

How and when do I get paid if I am off work?

You may be compensated at the rate of 2/3 of your gross average weekly wage, subject to a weekly maximum, if a physician restricts you from all work or if your employer can not accommodate physician-directed restrictions.  This compensation is termed Temporary Totally Disabled or "TTD." In general, you are not eligible for weekly compensation for the first 7 days unless you are totally disabled from work 21 consecutive days. The SSIF will issue you a separate check in the same timeframe (biweekly) as State employees receive regular pay.  Your agency will be advised of the SSIF paid compensation and will make necessary adjustments to your time and leave balances. If you receive SSIF compensation, please check with your personnel officer about sick leave, vacation leave or FMLA considerations.

Will I be taxed on SSIF payments?

Workers compensation wage loss payments are not subject to State or Federal income tax.

Do I have to use vacation leave or sick leave if I am drawing "TTD?"

No, however, most employees do supplement "TTD" with leave to make up for any shortage in their pay since TTD is 2/3 to a certain level.  See your agency personnel office for more details or call your claim representative.

Am I eligible for shared leave consideration if I have a work-related injury?

Shared leave is not intended to cover employees who are receiving workers compensation. (K.A.R. 1‐9‐23).

How soon can I try to return to work?

Your supervisor, agency, and claim representative will begin the process of getting you back to work as soon as possible. The treating physician will determine if you have physical restrictions. You, your supervisor, and claim representative can then review any restrictions to decide if you can return to duty.  This could be in the form of accommodated duty or shortened hours so long as they do not exceed physical restrictions.  If the agency can accommodate restrictions, you will be expected to return to work.  As your restrictions are adjusted, your accommodations will be evaluated until you are back to regular duty.

What if I have questions about this process?

Your primary assistance is the claim representative (or adjuster) at 785‐296‐2364.  Located in Topeka, the claim representative will advise you and will see that you receive the necessary information and compensation. Another source is in the Kansas Department of Labor Division of Worker’s Compensation in Topeka which has claim advisors who can provide you with consultation on a toll-free number, 1‐800‐332‐0353. Also, mediation or a hearing before an administrative law judge in the county where the accident occurred is available. Your claim representative or advisor can explain the administrative hearing process to you.

What if I see an unsafe act or condition at work?

Correct the situation if it is within your scope of responsibility or decision making.  Otherwise, report it to your supervisor. Your agency may also contact the Division of Labor at 1‐800‐332‐0353 for workplace hazard prevention services and consultation.

What if I think someone is cheating on workers compensation?

The SSIF occasionally receives reports that someone who is off work on workers compensation is working another job or participating in activities that would indicate the person could be working.  Please report these with as much specific detail as possible to the SSIF at 785‐296‐2364.

© 2024 Kansas Department of Administration. All rights reserved.